Friday, November 8, 2013

Article on e-books published in English Journal!

This week my article "Rekindling Reading: On the Use of E-readers in the English Classroom" was published in English Journal, published by the National Council for Teacher's of English.

This was a year in the making, with about 6 drafts and even a Google Hangouts editing session with the column's editor.  I am really proud of the work I did and it is really exciting to see my name in print. 

The final draft was submitted in March, so it is odd that it is just coming out now.  The upside is that I now feel a renewed energy for e-books in the classroom, and I thought it would be worth checking in to tell you how it is going. 

This year I have 3 sophomores in one section reading all of the class texts on e-book. 

We just started reading Oedipus and Antigone in English II and I have lead my two sections through the process of downloading the Kindle app and the free e-book of Oedipus and Antigone.  I gave them all the basics in defining words, making highlights and notes, searching, and customizing their views.  This will be my first text where all of the students are using e-books. 

I will chart this whole class e-book adventure here and let you know what I find.  I am experimenting and encouraging the students to tell me what they think of the experience.  I hope I get a range of experiences and encounter lots of hurdles that we can brainstorm as a class. 

Stay tuned!

1 comment:

  1. Congratulations! This is such great news. I can't wait to read your article. (I'm not a member of NCTE, so I'll have to find myself a copy.) I'm very impressed!

    ReplyDelete