Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Back to school...and ebooks!

We have had a full 5 days of classes now, so I feel like we're back!  The year is off to a whiz-bang start leading to an overall good feeling.

So, what's new?  I have more students using e-books for their class texts.  I have two students as sophomores that I taught last year as freshmen and they knew of my love of e-books, and since they own Kindles they decided to give it a shot.

To start, they came to my room during break today and I made sure to install the Kindle for PC app.  I've said it before, but I find the Kindle for PC app the most useful for class discussions.  It's easy to navigate between pages, make highlights, and add comments.

(I've written a bunch of posts on using the Kindle reading apps.)

That makes three Kindle readers in one of my sophomore section.  It's going to be a new adventure and I'm looking forward to everything I will learn from it.  I will try to get them to guest blog here so you can hear how it's going from them.

In case you were wondering what we're working on right now, the Freshmen read Jamie Ford's Hotel on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet for summer reading and are doing some creative writing and a group essay.  The sophomores read a book of their choosing from a list in addition to all reading Sonia Nazario's Enrique's Journey.  We're discussing the essential questions that all who take a journey must grapple with.  This will lead us to a large creative non-fiction piece in the style of Jeannette Walls' Half Broke Horses.

No comments:

Post a Comment